Friday, July 15, 2011

What did you call me?

So, I guess I'm a "tweacher" now.

Not gonna lie, I'm a little apprehensive about using Twitter and incorporating it into the classroom. Admittedly, I have a Twitter account. The content has no sustenance; the bulk of my tweets are "re-tweets" revolving around the latest happenings in the world of Korean pop music. Moreover, like a weak and starving baby bird, my tweets are few and far-between.

My biggest reason for Twitter-neglect is that I fail to see its utility. Facebook provides nearly the same function, but offers much, much, more. I don't just have to limit my information into a 140 character post. I can make a note and type to my heart's content. I can start a Facebook group or page. I am admittedly a twit (the non-tweeting kind) when it comes to Twitter, so perhaps I need to truly get intimate with it before I make judgments, but in my opinion, anything Twitter can do, Facebook can do better.



However, I must also recognize that Twitter is rather new in the social networking game and I am a human being. I am prone to homeostasis. I was extremely angry when Firefly was cancelled. Although it has been a central experience of my adult life, I am averse to change. All this talk of incorporating Twitter into the classroom makes my head hurt, like songs with auto-tune.


To tweet is to make myself vulnerable to the realization that I am growing old.


***UPDATE***
HootSuite is AMAZING. Tweeting is SO FUN,

4 comments:

  1. I agree, I feel like Facebook can do so much more than Twitter. I do fear that Twitter may begin to destroy the classroom in terms of 140 characters or less attention spans that we have unknowingly created.

    Yet, Twitter compared to Facebook is much more simple, it is limited to 140 characters and has an easier interface to follow (especially on a smart phone where the iPhone and Android try to crazily simplify the facebook interface with their app, making the phone app much less usable compared to an actual computer.

    Also, Korean Pop music is awesome Taeyang is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "To tweet is to make myself vulnerable to the realization that I am growing old." I feel you RJ. It is so hard to change theories about technology, and that really dates us. To David's point as well, the short attention span idea really worries me. I saw that a university recently had students write scholarship essays in twitter format. Now one can argue that it forces you to be clear and succinct, but really? That's pretty much 2 sentences. How can you present yourself in that way fairly. Some may be able to, but some can't, and that is a huge disadvantage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew. Glad that turned out OK. By the way, the author of "Tweacher" is one of our guests tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Auto-tune is terrible. Why don't we leave it back in 2007 where it BELONGS! (Though I couldn't resist listening to T-Pain one time.. for old-time sake).

    But I agree(d) with you, before Friday that is! Twitter does offer a lot of good information at the users fingertips. BUT! Due to the mass amount of spam on Twitter, I don't see myself using it the way I use Facebook.

    ReplyDelete