Monday, July 18, 2011

Twitter-pated





Friend Owl has listed the symptoms: weak knees, head in a whirl, air-walking, knocked loops, and lost heads. The prognosis? I think I love Twitter.

I know this is bad. My reputation is on the line. Why, it was just in my last post that I was publicly declaring my love for Facebook and how Twitter was deficient in so many different ways. Now, through the medium of HootSuite, my impressions have completely changed. Twitter is no longer the clunky, poor excuse for a social networking site that I have always believed it to be. Now, it is quick and fun. I can set up multiple streams that automatically retrieve tweets containing keywords of interest and display them in an easy to read format. I can see a list of my tweets that were re-tweeted by others, so I can more or less calculate my net social worth. I have hashmarks and I am not afraid to use them.

Meanwhile, Facebook thought it would be a fantastic idea to change how their chat system works, much to the chagrin of the world. Seriously? When it comes to social networking sites, I like to enjoy a certain level of customization. I want to be able to display information that I either want to display, or has some particular use to me. I like features to be easy to use, without the need to navigate cluttered menus. But above all, once I have become comfortable with the look and feel of a site, I do not appreciate it being changed, especially without notice or consent.

I tend to see connections between relationships and things that normally shouldn't be connected with relationships. For instance, I once related concept maps to serious relationships: I want them to work and I see their worth, but I don't seem to be any good at doing them.

In application of that same sort of metaphor, I feel as if Facebook and Twitter are fighting for my affections. Facebook and I have been going strong for too long, but sometimes I wake up and feel like I don't recognize it anymore. Back in the day, we were exclusive and had a simple relationship. Gradually, things began to change. First, it started seeing a lot of other people, offering itself to high school students and people who worked for different companies. Then it started playing games with me. Now, we can't even talk anymore. I mean, I admit that Google+ and I have been hanging out a lot lately, but honestly I was thinking of you the whole time.

Twitter and I met a couple years ago. We both had similar interests and we knew a lot of the same people, but we didn't really hit it off right away. Looking back, I've noticed that Twitter was present at some really crucial moments in my life. I tweeted when I found out my family in the Philippines was OK after some major flooding. I also randomly tweeted on the very day I decided that I wanted to become a teacher. Class last Friday really helped me see Twitter in a new light. Twitter is accommodating in that it lets me do my own thing, but is always there for me when I need it. Twitter always has something interesting to say. Twitter might be involved with a lot of other people, but it still makes me feel special. Twitter doesn't play games. In terms of my own professional development, Twitter provides me with a community of educators who are available to guide me and support me, cradling me in digital arms and letting me know that despite what we learn in EDUC 649, everything is going to be alright.

Because sometimes, Facebook, I just need to be held.

8 comments:

  1. This is a terrific post. You have a great voice for blogging. My favorite: "I have hashmarks and I am not afraid to use them."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im with you on the change of heart! I too felt that Twitter was a terrible attempt at social networking, but after Antonia showed us Tweetdeck, I had a slight change of heart.

    And you couldn't have said it more perfectly about Facebook. If they don't stop changing their layout, I'm thinking I'm going to have to give it a break because I can't handle all the change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with Kristin, you are a great blogger and so much fun to read! I feel as though I am on the same level as you in terms of my relationship with twitter and Facebook. Facebook has always been there and I can't imagine my life without it, but in all honesty what does it really bring to the table? Twitter, on the other hand has SO much more to offer and I am learning new things about twitter everyday. I have to agree with you on how much Facebook changes and it makes me so mad! why does the set-up, chatting, etc. have to be in this constant state of change? it benefits no one and it just makes people mad. I think there is a lot we can still learn from twitter and the more we get used to it, the less we will see Facebook in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you about the changes for facebook! I am like "why do I keep allowing facebook to change up the terms of our relationship!" It's almost like facebook abuse! I don't understand why we are okay with doing that!

    I do not seem to be as awed with Twitter though. It doesn't seem to be customizable. And I also agree with Elizabeth, I cannot imagine my life without Facebook because I can keep up with connections from around the world. Having lived in Akron, Columbus, Detroit, Shanghai, Hong Kong, and now Ann Arbor, it really helps to keep in touch with people and see the degrees of separations with people! Going to international schools, most my classmates are all over the world in different schools everywhere. Almost no one person went to the same university, and thus facebook is beneficial in that way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I technically don't have to read your blog...but I choose to because it's so entertaining. I'm pretty sure your students are going to love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed. You are quite a treat when it comes to reading blogs. And your emotions are so deep with all of this. I just can't be as emotionally connected to these sites, I guess it is because I am married and I would feel like I was cheating if I was spending too much time with Ms. Facebook or Ms. Twitter. But in all seriousness, I've added a ton of new bookmarks into my education tab because of twitter. I just wish they could branch out of the stupid social side of twitter and make a professional quacker or honker or something, that allowed for more than 140 characters and wasn't used for today's breakfast. It's just so weird to think about, because how different is twitter really than a chatroom, or a discussion board website, or email really? It's like copyright infringement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha agreed with everyone - reading your blog posts are so much fun! I think many of us are currently starting our own love affairs with Twitter - it's ok to experiment, we are young and looking to see what else is out there! :)

    I know what you mean - Facebook has really transformed over the last few years that I don't recognize it anymore! I feel like its just trying to be EVERYTHING - social networking, videos, games, advertising, a place to give charitable donations, classifieds, a place to get news....and I am sure many more things that I am neglecting to mention. I feel like Twitter is more upfront about what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. RJ, just a hunch, but I have a feeling that Kristin and I will soon be adding your URL to our list of recommended edubloggers for the MACers. A big part of me wanted to go the knee-jerk "twitter is ridiculous' route, but every time I sign on I learn something, or see a new resource, and I love the possibilities for focused networking that it offers. You make some eloquent points along these lines.

    ReplyDelete