Monday, July 11, 2011

Praxis and Teach Me How to Dewey

I googled the definition of "praxis." Here's what came up:

prax·is/ˈpraksəs/Noun

1. Practice, as distinguished from theory: "praxis of Marxism".
2. Accepted practice or custom.

I boil down our entire SMAC program experience to praxis. In the comfort of Room 2229, we familiarize ourselves with educational theories with the intention of putting them into practice. Right now, we bow our backs as we trudge through classes on research, reform, content literacy, records of practice (which conveniently provided this blog with its name), and of course, technology. One of the major benefits of having a sibling complete the program is possessing a realistic sense of the future. Soon, we will be juggling coursework with our student teaching, struggling to complete our assignments while in turn giving our students assignments. Not long after, teaching will become a full-time commitment. We will spend less time sitting inside a classroom, and more time standing in front of one. Although the thought seems strange to me at present, in less than a year our metamorphosis will be complete, and we will finally emerge from throbbing cocoons as legitimate teachers, albeit with our realized wings still moist and glistening.

I suppose I should cease my rambling and discuss more relevant things, like praxis and technology. I am beginning to come to terms with today's academic landscape. During my elementary and middle school years, I remember doing research for speeches and book reports. Back then, success in those assignments meant going to the library's card catalog, looking up your subject, and then hunting down the indicated books. Once said books were captured, you had to open them up and render useful information from their entrails. Research and its trials were a necessary part of the learning process; knowledge was wrested out of the grasp of a savage and barren wasteland.

Today, that is definitely not the case. Anyone who can manage a keyboard and decipher the glowing symbols can use a computer -- which is, I reckon, anyone aged 2 years and up. Information is quite literally at our fingertips. The research beasts of my childhood have all gone extinct. The landscape is green, lush, and alive. Knowledge now hangs low on branches like ripe fruit with fibers strained to near bursting, and the air is permeated with their aroma. The fact that I could google the word "praxis" is evidence of how much has changed.

Which brings me to Dewey. If I was writing on another medium, I would probably launch into a brief biography and then mention his impact on educational reform. But I'm not going to do that. Information is quite literally at your fingertips. Go ahead and google him. Instead, I wanted to relate his "Pedagogic Creed" to technology. I won't spend very long doing this. In a nutshell, Dewey believed that the present and real life was central to education. Since real life exists in society, schools should teach students how to interact with society in the here and now. Given that the here and now is becoming increasingly dominated by the presence of technology, it is only natural that education should make use of it.

Thus, my paradigms of how and what to teach are also becoming extinct. Book reports, in their old form, can be completed within 15 minutes without having to read the book, since key information such as characters, settings, main plot points, and themes are readily available. Up until a few days ago, I was convinced that there was a major cleavage between what students "know" and what they can look up. I've decided that there is no difference; they are one and the same. Having knowledge is simply a matter of retrieval, and whether or not it comes from long term memory or a computer database is a distinction that is steadily losing importance.

And so, this is what I am going to be focusing on during the course of the program: How can I take theory and turn it into practice? Or in other words: Teach me how to Dewey (teach me, teach me how to Dewey).


8 comments:

  1. the title of this post is most excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you bring up a great point when you mention the way research used to be done. Technology affects so many aspects of the classroom. Even simple things like "goggling" topics which takes two seconds now, took a lot longer fifteen years ago when we were younger trying to research topics by looking for books in the library. Can you imagine technology moving even further? How are we, as teachers going to be able to keep up with our students?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your discussion of the definition of what students know and what they can look up. The distinction is definitely steadily lowering in significance.

    To respond to your comment, I actually had that same exact thought right when I started the MAC program, it made me really wonder about the future of in-class teachers. Yet then I thought about how most online courses are usually in the secondary level and post-secondary level. This is because it is only after students learn how to actually learn, that it has been taught to them and facilitated through an actual classroom, that virtual teaching can be effective. Face to face time is uber important to teaching. This is why tutors are so effective. Also, I remember when I took AP Psychology, we discussed that should you be tested and assessed in the same room that you spent learning it, you actually do better. Also, school where students make friends, if everything became virtual, we'd be creating an anti-social society wouldn't we? Heh, just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, chap. Excellent read. Rich and compelling.

    Very intriguing thoughts, RJ, and I would have to agree. Information is so easily accessible, it almost requires teachers to demand more out of their students. Instead of writing a report, making connections from the literature to historical/current events might show true understanding. And who needs books anyways? What did anyone ever learn from a book? Should we even use books anymore? Do kids even read them?

    But these are things we will have to keep thinking about, and I assume we will have plenty of time to discuss matters such as these over the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you make an excellent point about how during this first portion of our schooling, we are looking at the more theoretical and pedagogical. Though I know that all these serve a greater purpose in our practice as teachers, its hard to make those real world connections. Glad that you have your brother to shed some light on reality.

    You are right on in bringing up the point that students have the ability to access information on an internet in a matter of seconds. I think this also means that part of the learning process is how to properly use, attain and decipher this plethora of information (rather than simply stressing how to use it). Interesting thought about student knowledge and what they can look up being one in the same...wonder what exactly prompted your change of thought?

    Great title! I think you should demonstrate the Dewey in class!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, RJ -- Something to think about ... is KNOWLEDGE low-hanging, abundant fruit? or is INFORMATION what is available? How do we transform an endless avalanche of facts into decisions, actions, and problem-solving?

    And yes, please demonstrate the Dewey when convenient for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remeber middle school research going pretty much the same way! You would go find the book about your topic and pull your information from there. Nowadays students have millions of resources they can reference by punching a few keys and clicking the mouse!

    However, I also remember skimming the texts, pulling sentences that seemed important, and regurgitating them back onto a slide and not truly learning anything. Even though the way research is conducted today is much different from the days of old, is it just as ineffective?

    ReplyDelete
  8. In a sense, the plentiful and readily accessible nature of information might be seen to more quickly bring to the fore the kinds of questions (What am I investigating? What are the questions that I hope to explore? How do I evaluate the information?) that students should have been asking all along. This need for facilitation through the process of conceptualizing a project, the researching and writing, seems to me to speak clearly to aspects of the teacher’s role that Dewey seemed to envision.

    ReplyDelete