Thursday, September 15, 2011

How to Make A Pot of Coffee

I tried to abstain from it. I thought I was stronger, thought I could find alternatives. I didn't want to be like everyone else, and didn't want to succumb to peer pressure. But I found that I am weak.

Teachers need coffee.

I am not naturally a morning person. The timestamps for most of these posts occur sometime between 1:00AM-4:00AM. Actually, as I read this, I guess I technically am a morning person -- a morning person in the sense that I stay up so late that I vanquish the night.

So when I stumbled in this morning on three hours of sleep, I broke down. In my moment of weakness, I had a cup of coffee. Correction: two cups of coffee. Lots of cream. Lots of sugar.

With my energy reserves safely replenished, I felt confident enough to continue with my day. However, my indulgence had a price. There was no more coffee left in the pot. I had drank too deeply and too greedily. I suddenly came to the realization that I had no idea how to create more precious caffeinated fluids. Visions of the terrible end of my placement flashed through my mind. Without coffee to fuel the teachers, the students took advantage of their weakness and staged a coup, and it was all my fault.

Luckily, a nice woman who worked in the counseling office came by, and I politely asked her to show me how to brew a new pot. For your convenience (and survival), this is what she told me:

How to make a pot of coffee:

1. Fill up the coffee pot with water. Pour it into the reservoir on top of the coffee maker.
2. Take out the coffee filter. Throw it away. Put a new one in
3. Put in 5 heaping scoops of sweet, sweet coffee grounds, on top of the filter. Put the thingy back into the coffee maker.
4. Turn on the coffee maker.
5. ???
6. PROFIT



2 comments:

  1. I still have not converted, but I admit I have been starting my T/R days with some hot black caffeinated tea. Just need to find a way to get hot water to do refills at school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE and NEED coffee in ways it is shameful to admit in a public sphere, but i have always been a coffee person... so, teaching has only made my love affair more public. i like the scoops of "sweet, sweet coffee grounds" in your directions and hope that your fall has been okay. once the text analysis paper is over roundabout november, i swear it gets better. sending love from the BX.

    ReplyDelete