Monday, August 1, 2011

Hostage By Singularity



It is 2:18am and I'm finally starting this blog post. I swear, procrastination had nothing to do with it. I love blogging. It has been my truest and most trusted friend. When I am sad, frustrated, angry, or worried, I blog. I've learned that sometimes there are problems that you can't necessarily tell people about. Blogging (and journal writing in general), allows you to say exactly what is wrong, and through the process of naming your oppressor, you can gain insight on how to make things better.

Since this is a blog, and the name of this blog is "Record of Praxis" (whatever that means), I will name my oppressor for the sake of consistency:

BLOGGING, YOU ARE MY OPPRESSOR.

Yes, I did just say I love blogging. We are college buddies. We've had some great times together. However, the best part of our relationship is that it is completely natural. Easy, like Sunday morning. When blogging starts making demands, then the joy of it is gone. Obligation is the nemesis of recreation. Ask any game tester if they love their job. By making the maintenance of this blog a graded requirement, I feel like I am hunched over the keyboard with a gun to my head. I am not blogging for fun and therapy anymore; I am blogging for a credential.

But, wait. Suddenly, I am in a garden. It is a warm Spring day. I have long blonde hair and am wearing a frilly blue dress. Out of the corner of my eye, I catch something dash into the bushes to my right. I am young and curious, so I decide to investigate. I crawl headfirst into the rhododendrons and see what looks like a white rabbit, wearing a waistcoat and glancing anxiously at his pocketwatch (because only boy rabbits wear waistcoats, duh). His red eyes grow large as he realizes the time, and darts into a nearby hole in the ground. I approach the hole on my hands and knees, soiling my dress. I want to know where the white rabbit went. I want to see where this hole goes. I jump in:

TECHNOLOGY, YOU ARE MY OPPRESSOR.

The Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary defines oppression as "a sense of being weighed down in body or mind." Just as I am being oppressed by blogging, I am being oppressed by technology. In class, we talk about what it means to be a 21st Century learner and the necessity of incorporating technology into the classroom. We made Blogger and Twitter accounts. We submit our assignments via CTools. Laptops and video recorders are required for the MAC program. I have to register for classes via Wolverine Access. I fill out my financial aid forms online.

I can see the usefulness of technology in our daily lives. It makes things easier, and gives us ways, as educators, to improve upon our practice. But with so many forms of technology offering a multitude of functions and services, how can we decide which to use? Or do we just take them all?

Enter the singularity. You can clicky-click on the linky-link if you want to read more, but the "technological singularity" is basically the hypothesis that if technology reaches the point where it becomes more intelligent than humans, it will develop faster than human beings can understand. After this point, the future becomes impossible predict, because we cannot comprehend the capabilities of such technology. I used my computer to look up that succinct definition, because I had forgotten. YouTube teaches me how to do the dances for Korean pop songs. The explosion of technology in the past decade or so was unimaginable two decades ago, and we really have no idea what to do with all of it. The singularity is upon us.

This wouldn't be a problem if we practiced a little moderation, but we don't. We feel obligated to consume the latest gadget or widget or whatever they call it nowadays. We have twenty thingamabobs, but we don't care. It's no big deal. We want more. Our justification is that it can "make things easier," or that we are "keeping up with the times." But does maintaining all of those online accounts, worrying about identity theft, and affording all that hardware really make it easier? And if we are trying to keep up with the present, isn't your purchase going to be obsolete in six months anyway?

One of the basic rules of childhood is: "If you make a mess, clean it up." A fine mess I've made here. I argue that we are being oppressed by technology, so unless I want to get grounded, I had better come up with a solution, right?

I think that in order to make sense of the future of technology (and education, while we are at it), we need to look to the past. In Pedagogy of the Oppressed, Paulo Freire introduces the "banking" model of education: the learner is an empty bank account, and teachers deposit information into them, leading to the perpetuation of oppressive attitudes and practices. Freire rejects this model, which is a metaphor for traditional education, and claims that it results in dehumanization: the elimination of individuality, creativity, and compassion. In regards to technology, this is all true. Technology is willingly deposited into us, and we are getting dehumanized as a result. In order to combat this, we need to be more critical about what we consume, and remain conscious of how it is practical to society.

Education? Being critical of what we consume? Practical to society? Where have I heard those terms before?

With the advent of democracy and modern industrial conditions, it is impossible to foretell definitely just what civilization will be twenty years from now. Hence it is impossible to prepare the child for any precise set of conditions. To prepare him for the future life means to give him command of himself; it means so to train him that he will have the full and ready use of all his capacities; that his eye and ear and hand may be tools ready to command, that his judgment may be capable of grasping the conditions under which it has to work, and the executive forces be trained to act economically and efficiently. It is impossible to reach this sort of adjustment save as constant regard is had to the individual's own powers, tastes, and interests - say, that is, as education is continually converted into psychological terms. In sum, I believe that the individual who is to be educated is a social individual and that society is an organic union of individuals. If we eliminate the social factor from the child we are left only with an abstraction; if we eliminate the individual factor from society, we are left only with an inert and lifeless mass. Education, therefore, must begin with a psychological insight into the child's capacities, interests, and habits. It must be controlled at every point by reference to these same considerations. These powers, interests, and habits must be continually interpreted - we must know what they mean. They must be translated into terms of their social equivalents - into terms of what they are capable of in the way of social service.
- John Dewey

I feel better already.


5 comments:

  1. I echo your comments about loving blogging. Honestly, if you were to ask me a few weeks ago, I would have told you "no way would I ever blog! that feels so.. Xanga middle school-esque." I have definitely grown into a better understanding of what it means to process externally on a blog and thus have a chronicle of my experiences of graduate school and technology in the classroom. What a better way to learn about technology in the classroom than to actually use it!

    Your comment about technological singularity sounds like the premise of many movies! To name a few: Terminator series, AI, I Robot, Matrix, etc! Scary man

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be where the people are. I want to see.. want to see them dancing (to Korean style pop songs?) Haha sorry I couldn't help it - had to continue the Little Mermaid song! But clearly a lot of people are where the technology is.

    Seriously, definitely some food for thought! I think all these various forms of technology can bring convenience and challenges! I really want to read Pedagogy of the Oppressed - it has been on my book list for quite awhile now - maybe during August? I really like the John Dewey passage you selected esp "eliminate the social factor...eliminate the individual factor." We have to strive to have both, not eliminate one if favor of the other.

    Have a great break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really do love blogging. Impressive finale RJ. I thought the comic was hilarious, and already outdated. VCR, fax machine, answering machine, am/fm radio? When was the last time you used an am/fm radio in your house? Maybe you have, but I would bet the majority of radio listeners in the house from our generation use internet radio. And anything that still has machine in its name is most likely obsolete.

    Newer distractions should include: smart phone, xbox360, ipad, and maybe giga pets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your sentiments as regards to forced blogging. My best work with full creativity comes when I am not under class pressure to make two posts per week with five responses to other blogs and one comment on an edublogger. It is the requirements that add extended pressure that stifle creativity. You can extend this belief to education overall. I fully believe my best work, where I am free to use the full capabilities of my noggin, come during original projects with minimal restrictions.

    I love blogging when I do it for pleasure. For class, not so much.

    I disagree with c note that smart phones, game systems, and ipads are distractions. They are only distractions if we as educators let them be distractions and not teach responsible use of technology. I love Lauren's suggestion in our skype session, to hold online office hours through facebook. Any student with a laptop and smartphone can join the office hour. I would even suggest google+ huddle for holding office hours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RJ, your post was great, and I am definitely hoping that you will continue to blog during your student teaching.
    Thanks for trusting us enough to raise the issue about enforced blogging, and for our (somewhat audaciously, I'll admit) taking something you do for pleasure and turning it into an assignment which, in turn, changes things. Your observation raises at least one additional point, over and beyond what you so eloquently describe in your post. There's often a few clumsy steps involved in "curricularizing" an activity. The argument that in adding an element of coercion to an activity we are changing that activity is quite accurate. So, there is the philosphical issue around saying "we would like for you to reflect on your work this summer and to respond to others" and saying all of that but adding specific requirements about how many and when. We are also *kind of* bringing outside practices/hobbies/interests into the classroom, and that can create problems. Most notably, schools are give a mandate to deal with the array of social/interpersonal issues with which kids are faced (cell phones in school, anyone?) and trying to do that can be, well, a little awkward at times.
    Thanks again for an engaging post.

    ReplyDelete